August 1999 Thrasher - Selective Scan Dump

Sometimes it can be hard to figure out what I want to post from a certain magazine, or what I should post here versus what I should post only to Instagram, and so on and so forth. So as I scan through magazines, maybe I'll just start dumping the stuff that I scan on the blog and then cherry pick from that to post to IG. Or, this might be the first & only time I do something like this. 

Below are all of the things I felt were worth scanning from the August 1999 issue of Thrasher. I got this issue months ago from a friend who offered to mail me a bunch of old Thrashers and Slaps for $100, and it was well worth it.

photo: Mike Burnett

no photo credit given

no photo credit given

photo sequence: Gabe Morford

no photo credit given

no photo credit given for either, but
the Anti Hero ad is probably Morford

no photo credit given, and it doesn't
say if it is a lipslide or a boardslide.

no photo credit given

no photo credit given

no photo credit given for either page

photo sequence: Morford

I cannot say for certain, but I think this might be the first Jamie Thomas interview in Thrasher?
Words by Burnett.
portrait and 50-50 photo by Daniel Harold Sturt

ollie photo by Sturt
boardslide sequence: Burnett

ollie: Burnett
Smith grind: Sturt

photo: Mike O'Meally

ollie: Sturt
switch lipslide sequence: Burnett

These two pages are from the Return of the Hammerhead article, which has a bunch of photos of some of the top street skaters at the time getting tricks on it. Unfortunately, one of the pages was torn out of this particular issue, which means that I couldn't scan the photo of Ed Dominick doing a Christ Air. Dammit!! I love Clyde Singleton's fakie tailslide, and Geoff Rowley's front noseslide on the small UCI hubba is really sick.
all photos by Burnett

The first page from the Buggin' Out article. I initially flagged this for scanning because of the Frank Gerwer nosegrind and was going to crop out the left page, but then when I had it under the scanner, I noticed that that was The Butcher doing the front 3!
Butcher's front 360 sequence: Luke Ogden
Marko's 50-50: Daniel Haney
Gerwer's nosegrind: also Ogden

More Buggin' Out.
Cairo Foster ss fs flip sequence: Morford
Chris Roberts switch ollie: Socrates Leal
Julien's fs ollie at Mt. Baldy: Morford
Derrick Paris nosegrind: Haney

Joel Meinholz, fs 180 nosegrind for his Welcome to Stereo ad.
no photo credit given

I'd never heard of Circuit Wheels until I saw this ad.
no photo credit given

Keenan Milton is on the list of skaters I will scan & post almost anything they appeared in. Admittedly, it's not a short list, but you get my point.
no photo credit given

no photo credit given

Jeff Lenoce Firing Line on the left. One of the biggest reasons why I love going through the old magazines is to find stuff like this. I think it's interesting to observe how much the Firing Line section has changed over time. It bookends Thrasher now, with a full-page photo, but in 1999 it's puzzle-pieced into the back of the magazine.
Jeff's nollie lipslide: Burnett
no photo credit given for Sheffey's noseslide

no photo credit given, but probably
someone who worked for Playboy


No comments:

Post a Comment