Minnesota Skate History in Thrasher

Earlier this year, my wife surprised me on my birthday with three old issues of Thrasher that had articles about Minnesota in them. I love learning local history about the place I grew up & live in, so local history about Minnesota skateboarding is especially interesting to me. The articles from each of these three magazines are posted below:

September 1989 - a brief overview of the origin and history of the MN skate scene, up to 1989. The mention of a mile-long snake run in Cannon Falls is really intriguing to me. After 34 years of winters, there's no way it's skateable now, but it would be interesting to find it, if it still exists.



November 1991 - a two-page article by then-Editor-in-Chief Kevin Thatcher, covering the 1991 Aqua Jam that took place on the shoreline of Lake Calhoun (now Lake Bde Maka Ska). There's mention of a newcomer named Seth McCallum, who would go on to be one of the first street pros from Minnesota in the late 90s & 2000s.

February 2000 - Words from Clint Peterson and photographer Andrew Hutchison accompany this six-page article featuring tricks at well-known Minneapolis spots by some of the top skaters in the city at the time.



No comments:

Post a Comment