My Favorite Covers: April 2006 Skateboarder

I first discovered Skateboarder in 2006 when I found some 2005 & 2006 issues at my local library. Until I got my first issue in the mail in fall of 2007, I would spend many of my evenings looking over these old issues, soaking in as much content as I could as I paged through each issue, cover-to-cover. Because of this, these first issues hold a special place in my heart. One memory from this time that stands out to me is the first time that I saw the cover of the April 2006 issue. 

photo: Matt Daughters

The combination of the tall drop that Peter Watkins is about to take, and the "10 Most Dangerous Skatespots in America" text made me initially think that this was going to be one of the spots on the list (it's not). I think why this photo stood out so much to me was because it was the first time that I experienced the excitement of seeing a photo of risky trick that also looked really good. Daughters chose a great angle to shoot this crooked grind, and capturing the last moment before Peter's truck leaves the ledge creates a sense of anticipation for how he's going to clear the stairs and make the drop. Is he going fast enough? Is he going to be able to keep the board under his feet the entire way down? It's a great photo and a great cover, and will always be one of my favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment